Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Backdating your benefit

How to get your Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance or Council Tax Benefit claim backdated.

When can my benefit be backdated?

We normally pay benefit from the Monday after we receive your claim form.

It may be possible to backdate your claim for up to six months from the date you request it if you can show good reason why you did not claim earlier.

There could be many 'good reasons' for not claiming earlier.

This is not a full list, but it will give you an idea of the things we think about.

You were unable to claim because:

  • you were ill
  • you were in hospital
  • you had a family crisis
  • you were unavoidably away from home.

You thought you did not need to claim

Please tell us why.

You were advised not to claim

Please tell us who advised you.

You thought you were not allowed to claim

Or you thought you would not get benefit. Please tell us why.

If you would like your benefit backdated, please write to us giving reasons why you did not claim earlier. Send your request to the Benefit Service, Birmingham City Council, P.O Box 8267, Birmingham, B4 7XF.

What happens next?

We will look at your reasons. When we have made a decision, we will write to you to let you know. If we refuse your request, you can ask us to look at it again or ask for an appeal.

Help and advice

If you need any help or advice making your backdate request call the Benefit Service on 0121 464 7000. Alternatively you can visit any Neighbourhood Office.

Please note you may need to book an appointment with the Neighbourhood Office.

If you are elderly or disabled we can arrange to visit you at home.