What is universal credit

Universal Credit is run by the UK Government, not Birmingham City Council. It is paid monthly in arrears and will include Housing costs (rent). If you have a partner, there will be one monthly payment for both of you. If you have any other adults living with you who are entitled to benefit they may claim in their own right, but a deduction of £68 per month could be made from your payment. You will not be able to claim help with your Council Tax within Universal Credit and instead you will need to apply for council tax support