What changes you need to report

If you receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support and your circumstances change, you must tell us immediately. Changes can affect the amount of benefit you’re entitled to or how much Council Tax you need to pay. If you don’t tell us about any changes, we might not pay you enough benefit, or we might pay you too much and you may have to pay it back.

Income, benefits and savings

You must report the following changes.

  • If you (or your partner’s), income stops, starts, goes up or goes down. Income includes:
    • Wages
    • Tax credits
    • Maintenance payments
    • Pensions/occupational or works pension

Note:  If the amount of benefit you (or your partner) receives changes and you have recently started work you don’t need to tell us if you have already told Jobcentre Plus.

  • If you (or your partner if you have one) start or stop receiving benefits, for example:
    • Income support
    • Jobseekers allowance
    • Employment and support allowance
    • Incapacity or sickness benefit
    • Tax credits
    • Any other benefits

Note:  If you have recently started work, you can find out about benefits and other help that may be available on the GOV.UK website

  • If your (or your partner’s) savings:
    • Go over £6,000 for the first time
    • Go over £16,000
    • Go down significantly because you have had to spend some
    • If you are working age, having savings of £6,000 or more, and they increase by £250 or more
    • You or your partner reach the qualifying age for state pension credit and your savings go over £10,000 for the first time

Note:  You don’t need to tell us about small changes in your current account or any stocks/shares you hold.

Household changes (including marriage, someone moving in, birth, and death)

You must report the following changes.

  • Someone moves in or moves out
  • Your partner moves in or moves out
  • You get married
  • You sublet
  • Someone who lives with you has a change in income
  • Any of your children leave school
  • You stop receiving child benefit for any of your children
  • When any of your children turn 18—you will also need to let us know if they are staying at school, going to college, starting work or claiming benefits.
  • Your partner dies:
    • If your partner was the main claimant, we will end the claim
    • You will need to make an online claim within one month so we can pay housing benefit and/or council tax support from the date your partner died
    • If you take more than a month to make your claim, you will need to backdate your benefit form and ask us to consider your benefit to the date your partner died
    • Either way, you will need to provide the original death certificate

Housing and rent

You must report the following changes.

  • You move house (or are about to): please tell us as soon as possible to prevent us from paying benefit to a previous landlord and to make sure you get the right amount of benefit
  • You are liable to council tax. Please tell us immediately so we don’t overcharge you
  • If you rent from a private landlord or a registered social landlord (housing association), tell us if:
    • Your rent goes up or down
    • There is a change in the service charges you pay
    • The property you live in changes

Note:  You don’t need to tell us about rent changes if you rent from the council.

Other changes to your housing situation may affect your Housing Benefit.

rating button