Who can get Housing Benefit

Before you make a new claim for housing benefit claim, read the information below.

You will only need to claim housing benefit if you:

  • live in supported or temporary accommodation, or
  • are of Pension Credit age

If your circumstances are not included in the list above then you must claim Universal Credit for help with your rent.

You can find more information and apply for Universal Credit on the GOV.UK website.

If you are receiving Universal Credit and are liable to pay Council Tax you will need to make a new separate claim for Council Tax support.

You can find more information about Council Tax Support and how to make a new claim on our website.

Qualifying for Housing Benefit

To qualify for housing benefit you must:

  • Live in supported or temporary accommodation, or
  • Are of Pension Credit age, and
  • Be liable for rent (including if you are a lodger in occupation), when making a claim, select 'Yes' when asked if you are a tenant, and then state on the form that you are a lodger in occupation
  • Be actually residing in the property
  • Rent your home from a Private Landlord, Local Authority or Registered Social Landlord
  • Not have savings of more than £16,000, unless you have reached the qualifying age for state pension credit

If you are not a UK citizen and you have recently arrived in or returned to the UK, you should see advice from a Customer Service Centre. Specialist advice is also available from the Home Office and the Refugee Council.

rating button