Who can get Council Tax Support

You may be entitled to up to 100% Council Tax Support if you or your partner is:

  • a pensioner
  • entitled to a disability premium or disabled child premium
  • entitled to Employment Support Allowance and who also receives a qualifying disability related benefit
  • receiving a carer’s premium
  • receiving a war disablement pension, war widows pension or war widower’s pension
  • caring for a child dependant aged 5 or under

If you are of working age (other than those listed above) you will now have to make a contribution towards your Council Tax bill.

As Council Tax Support will be calculated as a means tested discount, the amount each household will have to pay towards the Council Tax will depend on their individual household circumstances.

If you are claiming Universal Credit you will need to apply for Council Tax Support separately using the online form.

Apply for Council Tax Support

Further information on the Council Tax Support scheme

Council Tax Support Information Sheet

Council Tax Support scheme

Council Tax Reduction Scheme Regulations

Page last updated: 17 January 2024

rating button