Selly Oak New Road highway improvement scheme
The Selly Oak New Road (SONR) highway project consists of highways improvements to the Selly Oak Triangle, made up of Bristol Road, Harborne Lane and Chapel Lane. The scheme will deliver improved access to key development sites, including the Life Sciences Campus on the Birmingham Battery site, and support the regeneration of Bournbrook / Selly Oak centre.
Work is expected to commence on 21 March 2019.
Key improvements on completion of the works at the Selly Oak Triangle include:
- Making Harborne Lane, between the Bristol Road junction and the junction with Chapel Lane, into a length of dual carriageway, thus making it two-way
- Re-configuring Chapel Lane to make it two-way and introducing a mini-roundabout at the Battery Retail Park entrance
- Widening the footway along the north side of Bristol Road between the Harborne Lane and Chapel Lane junctions.
- Upgrade of bus, pedestrian and cycling facilities
- When Harborne Lane and Chapel Lane become two-way, it will no longer be possible to turn right into Harborne Lane from Bristol Road, or left from Harborne Lane onto Bristol Road (except buses)
While works take place
To facilitate changes in traffic flows it will be necessary to completely change the traffic signal arrangements at the three intersections around the triangle - this will require temporary traffic signals to be put in place whilst the works are done.
Temporary lane closures will be required to enable construction activity to be carried out safely, most of which will be carried out at night. Narrow lanes will be required during the daytime, however daytime lane closures would only be applied when and where unavoidable.
Find out more
Find out more about this scheme at a 'Meet the Contractor Event' on Thursday 31 January between 1:30pm and 7:30pm, at Touchbase Pears, 750 Bristol Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 6NA. The event will provide an opportunity for residents and stakeholders to drop-in and view the finalised plans for the scheme and talk to the design and construction teams.