Apply for a dropped kerb

A dropped kerb allows vehicles to cross the pavement or footway to and from a driveway. A standard width crossing is 2.75m at the property boundary and 4.57m at the kerb edge

Kerbs can only be dropped by applying through us - you must not carry out the work yourself. You may need planning permission if you are surfacing over your front garden or your property is:

If you think you need planning permission or advice, please see the pre-application advice page for further guidance before sending an application.


We charge £85 (non-refundable) to inspect the kerb and produce a quotation. The typical cost of a standard width crossing is approximately £1,400; however this does not include any additional works (such as moving pipes, trees, street furniture, utility boxes etc). Blue Badge holders may receive a discount on the cost of constructing a standard width crossing.

Before completing the application form you will need to call cashiers on 0121 303 5535 quoting ‘permit application fee’, and have your debit or credit card ready.

After you’ve paid the application fee, complete the online form and quote your payment reference number where instructed.

If you have any questions or need assistance completing your application please email us.

Apply for a dropped kerb

Further information on dropped kerbs

It is illegal for water to flow from a private property across a footway onto the highway.  You must construct a suitable permeable hardstanding/driveway before any work to the dropped kerb is undertaken by the Council. Hardstanding means surfaces such as porous tarmac/concrete, slab or block paving.

If you intend to have a loose gravel driveway you must put measures in place to ensure the gravel is retained and is not able to spread across the pavement or road.

For further guidance please see the pre-application advice page.

If you have concerns about parking issues or driveway obstructions please consider applying for white lines (an advisory ‘H’ marking) or disabled bay markings to highlight a driveway access and deter obstruction by overhanging vehicles.

Successful dropped kerb applications will:

  • Not endanger or obstruct traffic
  • Be constructed using a similar material to that in the surrounding area e.g. tarmac, slabs or block paving
  • Meet the standard minimum width of 2.75m at the property boundary and 4.75m at kerb edge.

An application may be rejected if:

  • There is less than 4.75m from back of footway to front of building. Driveways on smaller frontages will not be granted permission as overhanging vehicles may cause obstructions.
  • There is a healthy, well established tree in the way, or the kerb would be closer than 1.5m to a tree. This distance may need to be greater if specified by a tree professional, or the application may be refused where trees are subject to preservation orders.
  • You do not have planning permission or permission from the property owner.

Birmingham City Council housing tenants

You will need permission from your local housing officer prior to applying for a dropped kerb. Please call 0121 464 4700 and choose option 5.

Land easement

‘Land easement’ gives an applicant permission for a dropped kerb to cross over onto another person's land, in other words, land that is owned by someone else. To check the status of any land fronting your property, please contact the Land and Property Section:

Cowboy Contractors

If you’re thinking of having your drive resurfaced, or a dropped kerb at your home, make sure you don’t become the victim of a cowboy contractor.

Each year, we deal with dozens of complaints about the quality of new or resurfaced drives or illegal dropped kerbs.

In most cases we find the work has been carried out by a contractor who has knocked on the door, asked if the householder wants work done and then demanded payment in cash.