How and why we collect and use your information
We collect and process information, including personal data about the citizens we serve, to provide effective and efficient services.
We use your personal data within the rules set out in the Data Protection Act 1998. We process this data for the following reasons:
- when you provide information e.g. using your benefit claim form information to process your benefit claim, and to monitor the Council’s performance in responding to your request
- to ensure we meet our legal requirements
- to allow us to communicate and provide services appropriate to your needs
- where we are legally obliged to undertake data processing e.g. for licensing, planning enforcement, trading standards, food safety, prevention and/or detection of fraud and crime
- to process financial transactions including grants, payments and benefits involving Birmingham City Council, or where Birmingham City Council is acting on behalf of other government bodies e.g. Department for Works and Pensions
- where you have consented to the processing
- where necessary to protect citizens from harm or injury
- where otherwise permitted under the Data Protection Act 1998 eg disclosure to comply with legal obligations
- for businesses located in *Business Improvement Districts ("BiDs"), Birmingham City Council will share details of payments and or non payments of BiD contributions, including any recovery actions related to the BiD company.
- to conduct research or statistical analysis that allows us to target and plan the provision of services
- to identify residents/users for the purpose of notifying them of proposed or planned changes to services that may affect them
- to assist the council in responding to emergencies or major accidents. This allows the council, in conjunction with the emergency services, to identify citizens who may need additional support.
* Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) is a public private partnership in which businesses within a defined area of the city pay an additional levy to fund improvements.