Scams and hoaxes
Consumers lose approximately £9 billion to scammers each year.
Criminals worldwide send bogus letters, emails, text messages or make phone calls to trick people into parting with their money.
Report a scam or hoax
If you discover such scams, please contact:
Telephone helpline: 0345 4040 506
Telephone helpline: 0300 123 2040
Tips on how to protect yourself against scammers
When anyone asks for your money or personal details, remember:
- if it seems too good to be true, it usually is
- get a second opinion from someone you trust if you’re suspicious about an offer
- research the reputation of the company before giving them any of your details
- say no to unwanted, uninvited callers
- don’t feel pressurised to make a decision on the spot - say no, or say you need advice first
- no legitimate business will ask for money to claim a prize
- keep your personal details safe at all times