Hajj and Umrah packages
If you’re booking your Hajj or Umrah pilgrimage, make sure you use a reputable travel agent.
Reputable tour operators should provide:
- itineraries (the schedule of events)
- accommodation details
- flight details
- transport details
- an Air Travel Operators License (ATOL) receipt to the consumer on payment of the booking - this protects the customer’s money if the business ceases trading and also ensures that customers are transported back to the UK at no extra cost
- information to consumers about the need to take out travel insurance if it is not included within the package they have bought
We recommend that pilgrims take out travel insurance to protect themselves and their families from paying any additional costs in the event of a crisis.
Saudi government regulations stipulate that British pilgrims performing Umrah and Hajj can only travel with UK travel agencies accredited with the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia. Members of the public can check with the Saudi Ministry of Hajj which travel agents are approved.
If you are concerned about Hajj fraud, please contact:
- Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline - 0808 223 1133 or report it online.
- Action Fraud Telephone helpline - 0300 123 2040 or report it online.