Vehicle complaints and investigations

Trading Standards investigates complaints of a criminal nature regarding issues with vehicles, including milometers which have been turned back (known as 'clocking'), unroadworthy vehicles and traders selling vehicles in residential areas.

We will:

  • provide traders with advice on their legal responsibilities
  • prosecute those who commit criminal offences such as 'clocking' vehicles and selling unroadworthy vehicles
  • monitor newspaper and online publications to identify traders claiming to be private sellers
  • investigate complaints about unsafe and unroadworthy vehicles

For further information or to make a complaint, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133.

Buying a used car

If you’re thinking of buying a second hand vehicle, visit the Citizens Advice web page on buying a used car for advice on what to look out for.

Remember, if you’re buying from a trader you have rights if the car turns out to be faulty. So always look out for traders who sell from home and are pretending to be private sellers as this means that they are trying to get out of their legal obligations to you.

If you are buying a car from an auction and are given the opportunity to attend but choose not to, you are waivering your consumer rights.

If you’re in any doubt, just walk away!

MOT tests

If you have any query relating to MOT tests you can obtain help and information from the GOV.UK website.

rating button