Report a noise nuisance

We only investigate complaints where residents within the city of Birmingham are affected, not business addresses.

When noise from a neighbour becomes a nuisance, we suggest approaching the neighbour first to speak with them about it. This usually resolves the problem quickly and is a better long term solution.

If noise nuisance is still a problem after speaking with your neighbour, fill out the online form.

Report noise nuisance for:

  • Amplified noise (e.g. loud music or television)
  • Animal noise (e.g. barking dogs)
  • Busker noise
  • Commercial noise (e.g. noise from nightclubs, pubs and shops)
  • Construction/industrial noise (e.g. machinery or factories)
  • Intruder alarms (e.g. house or car alarms)
  • Mechanical noise (e.g. DIY noise or washing machines)

Begin online report

If you want to complain about noise from roadworks carried out by Birmingham City Council or Kier, complete a highways service specific enquiry.


Noise nuisance laws don’t normally apply to fireworks as they’re used only occasionally throughout the year during significant cultural or religious ceremonies.

Usually, to classify as a nuisance, a disturbing noise has to be heard regularly or for long periods of time.

Construction or demolition works

Although people generally accept that construction activities (including home renovations) need to be done, noise from construction works can be a source of significant disturbance.

Construction works involving building new properties or extending existing ones are typically undertaken by construction companies or builders.

In these cases it is recommended that the hours for noisy activities be limited to:

  • between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday
  • between 8am and 1pm Saturday, and
  • not at all on Sunday or Bank/Public holidays

Contractors should also employ the principle of ‘best practicable means’ to limit the noise generated.

Smaller scale works

Smaller scale works done by the homeowner, including some extensions, are different in that these are more likely to be undertaken in the evening or at weekend.

There will need to be more give and take in these circumstances and the key principle to consider is avoiding doing works which will cause a noise nuisance to your neighbour.


Dog barking can be classed as a nuisance if it is constant or disturbs sleep. Speak with your neighbour first before making a formal complaint.

There is help and advice available for dog owners who are concerned about their dogs barking excessively.

When we receive a report of noise nuisance we will:

  • contact you to discuss the problem
  • ask you to keep a diary or other record so we can see when, how long, how often the noise occurs and how it affects your life at home
  • contact your neighbour to warn them that a complaint has been made
  • try to gather evidence (such as ear-witness accounts and recordings) to pursue legal action if the neighbour continues to cause noise problems
  • where appropriate, take court action:
    • fines of up to a maximum of £5,000 for domestic noise and up to £20,000 for commercial noise can be issued if someone is found guilty of failing to comply with a Noise Abatement Notice, and
    • possible seizure of sound equipment if the problem continues

Your identity

If we need to pursue legal action to resolve your noise complaint, and you’re happy for us to do so, your identity may be revealed to your neighbour during legal proceedings.

For example, your neighbour will have a legal right to know who made a complaint against them if they decide to appeal a Noise Abatement Notice in court. You could also be required to give evidence if the case goes to court.

Antisocial behaviour

If you are experiencing an issue with domestic noise, such as a neighbour shouting, then this is likely to be treated as antisocial behaviour.

Page last updated: 24 April 2024

rating button