Birmingham City Council financial challenges - time to Reset

To find out more about the budget and section 114 notice visit our budget information page

Second adult rebate

Second adult rebate is paid to single people (or people who are treated as single) who are liable to pay Council Tax  ( but not entitled to Council Tax Support in their own right ) but have someone living with them who does not share liability, and who is on a low income.

Second adult rebate is calculated on the gross income of the second adult(s) and no account is taken of the liable person's income or capital.

How much will I get?

The amount of rebate you get depends on the income of the adult living with you and any benefits they receive.

You cannot be awarded both main Council Tax Support and Second adult rebate at the same time; a comparison is made, and you will receive the higher of the two.  

If both reductions are equal, you will be awarded main Council Tax Support. 

Can I claim?

If your income or capital is too high and you are not entitled to Council Tax Support, you can make a claim for a second adult rebate if you have another adult living with you who is:

  • aged 18 or over.
  • Not liable to pay the claimants rent for living in the accommodation.
  • Not a person who is disregarded for discount purposes, e.g. a person who is severely mentally impaired.
  • Not the claimant's partner (married or unmarried).
  • Not liable to pay Council Tax for the household.

Making a claim

You can make a claim for second adult rebate by using the Make a New Claim online form.

Make a New Benefit Claim on Benefits Online

rating button