Key announcements

Our council tax and benefits online systems and forms may be unavailable on Saturday 21 May between 8am and 2pm due to planned maintenance. Details of how to offer support to Ukraine residents fleeing war, and where to find information and advice are on our City of Sanctuary webpage

How much will it cost?

We charge a £95 (non-refundable) application fee, which includes inspecting the proposed kerb location. The typical cost of a standard width crossing is approximately £1,800 to £3,500; this includes the admin fee of £273, materials and labour, but not any additional works or labour (such as moving cables, trees, street furniture, utility boxes etc and, where consented, the removal and replacement of trees) which may increase the cost up to £6,000 or more.

If the inspection identifies utility plant needing removal or relocation, you are advised not to start any construction of hardstandings/driveways or remove partition walls, fences and hedges etc. before you have received a quotation for the works. Please note we are not in a position to advise on third party utility costs, which are independently provided by the statutory undertakers.

Work can only be carried out by Birmingham City Council authorised contractors and approved suppliers.

Each application is priced individually based on measurements and work involved in the construction. You can apply for a joint dropped kerb with your neighbour and share the application fee and quote, or you can submit separate applications and we can arrange for the construction to take place at the same time.

We are not able to take payment for dropped kerbs in instalments. You must pay in full before the construction work can take place.

Residents who are blue badge holders may be eligible to receive a discount on the cost of constructing a standard 2.75m width dropped kerb at the address where the badge or benefit is registered. If you wish to apply for this subsidy, please indicate this on the application form.

You will be contacted separately to provide copies of both sides of the blue badge. You will also be asked to provide proof of address for the badge holder to confirm that they reside at the address the dropped kerb is required for such as:

  • Letter from GP/hospital on letter headed paper dated within last 3 months
  • Utility bill dated within last 3 months (not a mobile phone bill)
  • Driving licence
  • Benefit award

If you want to request a white advisory "H" marking or disabled bay advisory marking you can do this online on our new works page.

If you have any questions or need assistance completing your application please contact us.

rating button