How much Housing Benefit you receive

Housing Benefit is means tested and the amount you receive will depend on your personal circumstances. The amount you receive depends on who lives with you, your total income and any savings you may have, or the total amount your family receives in benefits. The amount can also be affected by the amount of bedrooms your family needs.

People who live with you

Adults who live with you, other than your partner, are called non-dependants. The Government expects that a non-dependant will make a contribution to your rent and deducts this amount from any Housing Benefit you may receive, whether or not they actually do.

The amount of the deduction is based on the weekly gross income of the non dependant and for 2016/17 is as follows:

Non dependant deductions, 2016

Deduction in Housing Benefit

Age 18 or over


Not in remunerative work


In remunerative work and in receipt of gross income, per week, of


        Less than £133.00


        £133.00 - £194.99


        £195.00 – £252.99


        £253.00 – £337.99


        £338.00 - £419.99


        £420.00 and over


Over 18 but under 25


In receipt of Income Support or JSA (IB) 


In receipt of ESA (IR) which does not include an amount for the support component or work related activity component


Age 25 or over






In receipt of main phase ESA (IR)


In receipt of Pension Credit (either or both elements)



How many bedrooms does your family need?

In 2013, the Government introduced new rules that set out the number of bedrooms Housing Benefit will pay for if you rent your home. This is called “removal of the spare room subsidy”, but it is commonly known as “bedroom tax”.

How will this affect me?

It is possible that the amount of Housing Benefit you get to pay your rent could go down. If you are assessed under these rules as having more bedrooms than is necessary for your household you will be considered to be under-occupying that property. If you are under-occupying there will be a reduction in your Housing Benefit of:

  • 14% of the total eligible rent for under-occupancy by one bedroom
  • 25% of the total eligible rent for under-occupancy by two bedrooms or more

If you are thinking of moving you need to consider these changes before you renew or make a new tenancy agreement.

Total amount of benefit received by your family

In 2013, the Government introduced a “cap” on the total amount of benefits that working age people can receive if they are not working. Only some people will be affected.