Updated plan for waste collections

We apologise for any disruption to our household, rubbish and recycling service, which is a result of industrial action. Find out more about your collection day

Payment arrangements and liability order

Payment arrangements

Before entering into a payment arrangement with you we will ask some questions about your finances. If you are working we will need to know who you work for.

We may also ask you to make an immediate payment to help reduce the amount you owe so please have your credit or debit card details handy.

We will still ask the court for a liability order, but we will take no further action as long as you pay as agreed.

If you find yourself unable to keep to your arrangement you must let us know.

Instead of paying us directly you can ask us to take deductions direct from your earnings or your benefits once the liability order has been granted.

Liability order

If we have obtained a liability order against you we will issue a liability order notification showing the amount you still owe including the costs.

You will receive one of these even if you have already made an arrangement but you won’t need to take further action if you are paying as agreed.

Further action will follow after 7 days unless you:

  • Pay the full debt including the costs. You can pay by debit or credit card using our 24-hour payment line 0121 464 2001 (Option 1). Please have your 10-digit billing reference number ready, which starts with 5 and is shown on your bill and/or payment.
  • Make an arrangement to pay what you owe including the costs by calling us. You can call 0121 303 1113 9.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays).

There is an income and expenditure form on the back of the notification to help you work out how much you can afford to pay.

If you do not contact us and you don’t pay the debt we can:

  • Instruct your employer to make deductions from your salary or wages
  • Ask the Department for Work and Pensions to make deductions from your benefits
  • Pass the debt to civil enforcement agents (bailiffs)
  • Ask the county court to place a charge on your property (if you own it)
  • Apply to the county court for a bankruptcy order.

Read more about the council’s powers to recover Council Tax debt.

rating button