Birmingham City Council financial challenges - time to Reset

To find out more about the budget and section 114 notice, visit our budget information page

Request a review of your Council Tax bill

When to ask for a Council Tax bill review

If you think your Council Tax bill is wrong, tell us as soon as possible.

You must continue to pay your Council Tax while we review your bill.

You should ask us to review your bill if any of the following apply:

  • the bill is addressed to the wrong person
  • your home should be exempt from Council Tax
  • your Council Tax should be reduced
  • you are missing discounts you are eligible for

How to ask for a Council Tax bill review

You can ask for a review by posting a request to:

Birmingham City Council
Council Tax
PO Box 5
B4 7AB

You should include:

  • the reason you have requested the review
  • the discounts or exemptions you believe should have been applied
  • evidence supporting your request

What happens after we have reviewed your Council Tax bill

Once a review of the information you have provided has been carried out, the council will respond to you advise of the decision.

If we decide that the original bill is wrong, we will send you an updated Council Tax bill.

If we decide that the original bill is correct, we will contact you with an explanation and details on how to appeal our decision.

Appealing our review decision

If you do not agree with our initial decision, you can submit an appeal. Your appeal should include details of which decision you disagree with and why. You should also include any additional evidence which may help us make our decision.

If we accept your appeal, we will send you an updated Council Tax bill.

If we reject your appeal, we will contact you with a written explanation on why the appeal was rejected. We will also provide details on how to appeal the decision further through an external appeal.

Independent appeals

If you are unhappy with the outcome of the review and appeal process, you can contact the Valuation Tribunal. The Valuation Tribunal is an independent judicial body that provides dispute resolutions for Council Tax. The Tribunal hears and determines disputes that are made by ratepayers and Council Tax payers because they are challenging decisions taken by the local council or the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) on their Council Tax or business rates. You can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal if you:

  • disagree with the outcome of your review or appeal
  • did not receive a response to your request within two months
  • disagree with the completion notice we issued

Page last updated: 24 January 2024

rating button