If you receive a summons it will include a covering letter asking you to contact us if you wish to go to court. In most cases, you can avoid going to court by:
- Paying the full debt including the costs before the hearing date. You can pay by debit or credit card using our 24 hour payment line 0121 464 2001 (Option 1). You will need your card details and your ten digit billing reference number, which starts with 50 and is shown on your bill and or notice
- To make an arrangement with us, call 0121 303 1113
- If you have any issues regarding your summons you can arrange a telephone interview, please submit the online form below
- Make payments against the arrangement set up on your summons
Alternatively, pay the full debt including the costs before the hearing date online using the council tax payment form. You will need your card details and your ten-digit billing reference number, which starts with 50 and is shown on your bill and or notice.
If you wish to attend court, you must complete the above form to arrange an interview. You will not be allowed entry to the Court House unless arranged by the council and agreed by the court.
Everyone has the right to appear before the court in person if they choose, but few do so. This is because the magistrates cannot check whether you:
- have been billed for the correct period
- should have had an exemption or discount
- can afford to pay
- have been given the right amount of benefit or Council Tax support
- have a liability dispute. If you have a liability dispute you must contact the council