Explanation of your Council Tax bill
To assist you in understanding your bill we have provided additional information to help explain what each section means. Please see the numbered explanations below.
Details of the amount and the period of your award to Council Tax Support are shown on the front of your Council Tax bill.
You still have a duty to report change of circumstances affecting your entitlement, how you do this and your appeal rights is contained on the explanatory note on the back of your bill.
Key to your council tax bill
- The date the bill was issued
- Name and address of person responsible for paying the bill
- Reference number—please quote this number in any communication to us
- Reason why bill has been issued
- Property address (if different), if post is re-directed to a different address it will show here
- Council Tax bill charge, consisting of chargers for Birmingham City Council, Fire & Rescue and West Midlands Police services
- Breakdown of the bill showing the full charge for the property, plus any discounts/exemptions and adjustments made to your bill. Anything preceded by the word ‘Less’ means that the value will be deducted from the bill. Anything that is not preceded with ‘Less’ will have adjustments added to your bill. You can see a full list of exemptions and discounts on our dedicated webpage
- The amount you have to pay
- Instructions for how to pay your bill