Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Coronavirus remains a serious health risk. It’s important to stay cautious and help protect yourself and others. Please continue to follow national government advice.

What is a dropped kerb?

A dropped kerb enables vehicles to cross the public pavement (footway) to access a private driveway. It allows safe, off-road parking and could add value to your property.

The dropped kerb access area remains part of the public highway and is maintained by the council. Utility apparatus, such as electricity and phone equipment, within this area is maintained by the utility company (e.g. BT, Virgin Media, Western Power, etc).

The dropped kerb and access across the pavement do not become part of your land, and must not be used for parking vehicles. Overhanging or obstructing the public footway is an offence.

You will need room for a driveway of at least 4.75m (approx. 15' 5") in length on your property to park your vehicle. The driveway must be in place before a dropped kerb can be constructed.

Photo of driveway showing length required for dropped kerb

A standard width crossing is 2.75m (approx. 9') at the property front fence, hedge or wall and 4.5m (approx. 14' 7") at the kerb edge to allow for the dropped kerbs. The whole area from the kerb to your property covered by the dropped kerb is strengthened to take the weight of a vehicle. By strengthening, we mean excavating and rebuilding the pavement to a suitable thickness, with any slabs laid on concrete.

When requesting an extension, the existing dropped kerb won't be renewed at the same time. If you want to have the whole area renewed, there will be additional costs so please contact us before making your application.

Kerbs can only be dropped by applying through us - you must not carry out the work yourself. Planning permission is likely to be required for:

  • properties on a classified road (typically a main road)
  • a listed building or properties within a conservation area
  • commercial premises (shop, offices, businesses, places of worship etc)

Planning permission is also required, irrespective of the classification of road, to resurface private driveways of over 5 sq. metres in area, in order to prevent rainwater from running off directly onto roads, as this can contribute to flooding.

If you think you need planning permission or advice, please see the pre-application advice page for further guidance before sending an application.

rating button