Extra help with your housing costs or Council Tax

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) are for people who need extra help with their rent when Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance, or Universal Credit does not cover the full amount.

If you are suffering severe financial hardship or your tenancy is at risk, you may be able to get a DHP to help.

The Government has set restrictions on how much money can be paid out in any financial year to fund DHP. The payments are made from a limited fund and are made as a short term measure for those experiencing difficult circumstances.

Some council residents may be eligible for further financial support with their Council Tax as the Council aims to provide further financial support to help economically vulnerable people and households most effected by coronavirus.

The Council is in the process of looking at the detail and how these additional reductions can be applied to bills as soon as possible.

If you are already in receipt of Council Tax support you do not need to contact the Council; we will issue a revised Council Tax bill as soon as we are able to.

If you continue to experience extreme financial difficulty there is a Council Tax Support Discretionary Hardship Payment scheme to further help claimants who are struggling to pay their Council Tax bill.

You can apply for a Council Tax Support Discretionary Hardship Payment by using our online form.

rating button