Who can get extra help

To get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) you must be:

  • receiving Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance, or Universal Credit (including the housing element)
  • reside in Birmingham and be claiming from Birmingham City Council
  • be able to demonstrate financial need

In certain circumstances we may be able to pay a DHP to cover a rent deposit, rent in advance or removal expenses. To be eligible for this must meet the above criteria as well as have a valid reason to move.

In addition, the property must be affordable and any deposit amount must be reasonable.

A DHP may be paid if:

  • someone in the household has needs associated with disability or ill health
  • the accommodation has been adapted because of disability
  • someone in the household has a relevant medical need
  • it is not possible or practical for someone to look for alternative accommodation

This is not an exhaustive list and does not cover all the circumstances in which a DHP may be paid.

A DHP will not be paid for the following:

  • water, meals, fuel or other ineligible charges included in your rent
  • shortfall in housing benefit due to an overpayment being recovered
  • rent that is clearly excessive
  • increase in rent due to outstanding rent arrears
  • shortfall caused by certain sanctions and reductions in benefit
rating button