rating button
Start your new housing benefit and/or council tax support claim | Making a new housing benefit or council tax support claim | Birmingham City Council

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check out the latest advice, service disruptions, information and support about Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest updates

Start your new housing benefit and/or council tax support claim

Before you make a claim for benefit please read the information below about Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

You will only need to claim housing benefit if you:

  • live in supported or temporary accommodation, or
  • are of Pension Credit age or
  • are in receipt of Severe Disability Premium

If you are receiving Universal Credit you will still need to make a new claim for council tax support.

Further information regarding Universal Credit

Making a housing benefit or council tax support claim online is quick and easy to do. Your claim will be processed quicker and will provide you with a receipt when you have submitted your claim

When you make an online claim for benefits you may not need to provide evidence to support your application, we may be able to check certain information internally.

In some circumstances you may be required to provide evidence but this will be requested at the point you complete the online form, so if we haven't asked for it don't upload it or send it to us.

If you are asked for evidence, then you may be able to upload evidence online to support your new claim as you go through the form.

If your claim is classed as a complex case, we may still need to see original proofs by post or at one of the locations listed. If you do not have the evidence to hand or can not upload it, you should still complete the online form and just answer the questions as accurately as possible.

If you are asked to provide evidence after completing the application you must provide this within one month of making the claim. Please make sure your proof of evidence is up to date.

If your benefit was recently stopped and you provide the evidence needed within one month we may be able to start you benefits again immediately. If you do not provide evidence within one month of your claim stopping you will need to start the process again by making a new claim.

You can ask us to consider backdating your claim if you have a good reason.

Once we have received your claim, we will now only write to you if you need to provide further documents to support your claim.

Start a new claim