Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Due to essential maintenance some of our forms will be unavailable on Saturday 23 July 2016 from 3.30 am to 1 pm. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Birmingham Local Welfare Provision

Birmingham’s Local Welfare Provision (LWP) scheme provides vulnerable people in short term crisis with help for food and essential items.


Zero Tolerance – Abusive or Aggressive Behaviour

Aggressive behaviour, be it violent or abusive, towards employees or members of the public will not be tolerated and WILL result in your application being withdrawn. You will not be considered for help in you re-apply. Incidents may also be reported to the Police.

This page tells you:
  • what is local welfare provision?
  • who is eligible for local welfare provision?
  • what help is available?
  • how to make an application
  • further help and advice.

Please read the information below before making an application here

What is Local Welfare Provision (LWP)?

LWP helps vulnerable in short term crisis with food and essential items. It is grant-based, which means people who receive help from it will not have to repay anything. It is not intended to replace the council’s statutory duties in any way.

The scheme is funded on an annual basis and once the fund has been exhausted for that financial year, there will be no further awards.

The scheme is purely discretionary and people have no statutory right to an award.

Who is eligible for LWP?

To be eligible, you must:

  • be resident in Birmingham
  • be aged 16 or over
  • not be a person subject to immigration control or have no recourse to public funds
  • be without sufficient resources to meet your/your family’s immediate short-term needs

What help is available?

Crisis Grants

A crisis grant may be awarded if something unplanned (like a flood or a fire) has left you or your family with a need for food or essential items.

If awarded, a crisis grant will be made by pre-paid card. We will contact you within 2 working days to let you know where you need to collect your card and what you need to take with you.

Community Support Grants

A community support grant may be awarded if you need help with setting up or maintaining a home. It can provide “white goods” (things like fridges and washing machines) and items such as beds and sofas.

Items provided via a community support grant will be delivered and installed to your home.

Help with Fuel

We provide this help in partnership with a local fuel charity. It helps people who have problems topping up pre-paid meters for gas and / or electricity. 

To be awarded help with fuel you must be able to show that you have already asked your energy supplier for help. Popular energy suppliers are listed below.

If an award is made, a code will be sent to your mobile phone, which you can use at PayPoint/Payzone outlets, so you MUST have access to a mobile phone.

Energy Suppliers

Making an application

You can make an application here

You can either apply yourself or someone else can apply for you. In this case, the application form will ask for your details and those of the person who is applying on your behalf.

If you need to leave your application for any reason, your partially completed application will be saved using an application number and surname. You can then return to the application to complete it using these details.

If you enter your details incorrectly three times, you will be locked out and see the following message

"Maximum number of access attempts exceeded. Please try later."

If you do see this message you will not able to return to the application until one minute has passed and the correct details are entered.

You are allowed to make two applications in any financial year. In exceptional circumstances, we may consider further awards.

The amount of discretionary award will be based on your circumstances and the funds available within the scheme. You may want to consider other sources to help you “top up” any award made to you.

Further help and advice

Further help and assistance may be available via the links below.

Website feedback

What do you think of this page?