Illegal money lenders (loan sharks)
A loan shark is someone who runs a money lending business without permission from the Financial Conduct Authority. Loan Sharks rarely, if ever, give any paperwork and if payments are missed they often use intimidation and violence to get money from their 'clients'.
We can provide help and guidance if you have:
- been offered a cash loan
- been threatened when you couldn't pay
- had your bank card been taken from you as “security”
- a debt which keeps growing even though you’re making payments
If you, or anyone you know, is experiencing any of the above or has any knowledge of loan shark activities you can contact us in confidence. We take your privacy very seriously.
- Read the latest Stop Sharks newsletter
- Keep up to date with the latest news on loan shark arrests, investigations and prosecutions
We can be contacted 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Telephone: 0300 555 2222
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SMS text message: send a text to 07860022116, beginning your message with “loan shark”
- Website: www.stoploansharks.co.uk/
Information for schools
Brand new resources have been developed by teachers to warn young people about Loan Sharks. They are funded by prosecuted loan sharks through the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
The materials contribute to a variety of curriculum area, such as maths, English, PSHE, drama, art and design and cover all key stages. They are pfeg quality marked and also deliver many core learning objectives from the pfeg primary and secondary planning frameworks.