Birmingham City Council financial challenges - time to Reset

To find out more about the budget and section 114 notice visit our budget information page

Report a highway or pavement obstruction

If you discover an obstruction, report it to us. Obstructions are objects which have been placed on a road or overhang it without permission.

Obstructions caused by vehicles

Vehicles parked on the footway adjacent to yellow lines can be reported to our Parking section for investigation. Where there are no restrictions, you can report these to the local Police by calling 101, the non-emergency number. If the footway has been damaged you can report it using our online form.

What are common obstructions?

Obstructions commonly include

  • advertising boards on the pavement
  • general debris which may cause a hazard to road users or pedestrians
  • builders' materials
  • scaffolding, skips and fences
  • overhanging tree branches, hedges and bushes
  • mud/debris on the road
  • drive-ways, hedges and fences crossing over onto the highway

What else can I report?

We also want to know if you notice

  • missing barriers around roadworks or building works which may affect your safety
  • illegal signs - unauthorised attachments such as flyposting on street furniture (lamp posts, pedestrian guard rails).

What do we need to know?

To investigate the issue we will need to know:

  • An accurate location (including landmarks, house numbers or road junctions)
  • A detailed description of the problem

Make sure you do not put yourself or anyone else in danger when obtaining details about the fault.

We ask that you provide us with your contact details in case we need to ask you for more information. You can also receive status updates of your report by providing this information.

Once we receive your report it will be assessed to determine if it is an emergency. If so, it will be actioned immediately and, if necessary, it will be made safe. All other requests will be investigated within our routine timescales.

Other types of obstruction

Obstructions caused by household or garden rubbish, black bags, wheelie bins, white goods, fallen leaves and fly-tipping should be reported to our waste management team.

Visit the highways licence application page if you want to occupy or perform any excavation of the highway.

Reporting guidance

If you want to track progress on your report, you can log in to, or register for, a BRUM account.

Use the map below to start your report. The map will default to a 2 mile radius from Birmingham city centre, and you can:

  • search by entering a post code or road name in the search button (include the property number if known)
  • use the "find my location" circle underneath the zoom tabs to use your current location when making a report
  • use the "plot new enquiry" tab and zoom in to choose the location manually

When you have marked the location on the map, use the "submit new enquiry" tab to begin completing the form.

You can add additional location information within the form once the mapping point has been submitted.

The map may not be displayed if you are using an older version internet browser (such as Internet Explorer 10 or earlier).

rating button