Report a highway or pavement obstruction

If you discover an obstruction please report it to us. Obstructions are objects which have been placed on a road or overhang it without permission.

Obstructions commonly include

  • advertising boards on the pavement
  • general debris which may cause a hazard to road users or pedestrians
  • builders' materials
  • scaffolding, skips and fences
  • overhanging tree branches, hedges and bushes
  • mud/debris on the road
  • drive-ways, hedges and fences crossing over onto the highway

We also want to know if you notice

  • missing barriers around roadworks or building works which may affect your safety
  • illegal signs - unauthorised attachments such as flyposting on street furniture (lamp posts, pedestrian guard rails).

To investigate the issue we will need to know:

  • An accurate location (including landmarks, house numbers or road junctions)
  • A detailed description of the problem

If you are able to provide a photo, this will also be helpful.

Please ensure you do not put yourself or anyone else in danger when obtaining details about the fault.

We ask that you provide us with your contact details in case we need to ask you for more information. You can also receive status updates of your report by providing this information.

Report a highway or pavement obstruction

Obstructions caused by household or garden rubbish, black bags, wheelie bins, white goods and fly-tipping should be reported to our waste management team.

If vehicles are parked on the footway adjacent to yellow lines our Parking section will investigate these reports.  Where there are no restrictions, you should report these to the local Police by calling 101, the non-emergency number. If the footway has been damaged you can report it through our online form.

Visit the highways licence application page if you want to occupy or perform any excavation of the highway.