Report a highway or pavement obstruction
If you discover an obstruction please report it to us. Obstructions are objects which have been placed on a road or overhang it without permission.
Obstructions caused by vehicles
Vehicles parked on the footway adjacent to yellow lines can be reported to our Parking section for investigation. Where there are no restrictions, you can report these to the local Police by calling 101, the non-emergency number. If the footway has been damaged you can report it using our online form.
What are common obstructions?
Obstructions commonly include
- advertising boards on the pavement
- general debris which may cause a hazard to road users or pedestrians
- builders' materials
- scaffolding, skips and fences
- overhanging tree branches, hedges and bushes
- mud/debris on the road
- drive-ways, hedges and fences crossing over onto the highway
What else can I report?
We also want to know if you notice
- missing barriers around roadworks or building works which may affect your safety
- illegal signs - unauthorised attachments such as flyposting on street furniture (lamp posts, pedestrian guard rails).
What do we need to know?
To investigate the issue we will need to know:
- An accurate location (including landmarks, house numbers or road junctions)
- A detailed description of the problem
If you are able to provide a photo, this will also be helpful.
Please ensure you do not put yourself or anyone else in danger when obtaining details about the fault.
We ask that you provide us with your contact details in case we need to ask you for more information. You can also receive status updates of your report by providing this information.
Other types of obstruction
If vehicles are parked on the footway adjacent to yellow lines our Parking section will investigate these reports. Where there are no restrictions, you should report these to the local Police by calling 101, the non-emergency number. If the footway has been damaged you can report it through our online form.
Visit the highways licence application page if you want to occupy or perform any excavation of the highway.