Waste dispute resolution

Return to weekly household waste collections. Find out more – including your collection day

Report flooding and drainage on pavements and roads

Drainage on the highway

Highways drains, known as gullies, are situated at the edge of the road and take storm water from the highway into the sewer system. Litter, leaves and silt from rain water can block gullies. We carry out around 114,500 gully cleansing operations each year to keep water flowing.

In periods of intense heavy rain, the groundwater level rises and sewers can reach capacity. This is usually a short term problem and water will drain away when the weather passes. Maintenance of the sewer system is the responsibility of the local water company.

Reporting highways drainage issues

If you’ve noticed a highways gully is blocked, or its grates are missing or loose, please report it to us. To investigate, we will need to know:

  • An accurate location (including landmarks, nearby house numbers or road junctions)
  • A detailed description of the problem (e.g. blocked gully or missing grate).

If you are able to provide a photo, this will also be helpful.

Please do not use this form to report large scale flooding or blocked household drains and ensure you do not put yourself or anyone else in danger when obtaining details about the fault.

Report highways drainage issues

Public sewers

Severn Trent Water and South Staffs Water own and manage the network of public sewers for both foul and surface water across Birmingham. To report an overflowing public sewer you should contact them directly


rating button