Report an empty grit bin
There are 1,272 grit bins across the city, placed at locations where they will assist road users on a self-help basis. They cover potentially hazardous locations such as gradients to busy junctions, steep hills and sharp bends.
Roads we grit
It’s not possible to treat every road in the city with the resources available to us. To deal with these challenges, a priority treated network has been established based on guidance from the government. This priority treated network covers over 1,200 kilometres (over 700 miles) - nearly 50% of the total length of all roads within the city. This is about the distance from Birmingham to the south of France!
The three priority levels our gritted network is divided into are:
- priority level 1 (all major roads within the city)
- priority level 2 (includes other roads with heavy traffic, which are an essential part of Birmingham's road network)
- priority level 3 (consists of other busy local roads, important routes identified by the emergency services, all frequent bus routes, main access routes to large residential areas and important commuter routes)
The grit within the bins is for use on public roads and pavement areas only; it must not be used on private drives or paths. Rock salt for use on private land can be obtained from local stockists such as supermarkets and DIY stores.
Use the map below to start your report. The map will default to a 2 mile radius from Birmingham city centre, and you can:
- search by entering a post code or road name in the search button (include the property number if known)
- use the "find my location" circle underneath the zoom tabs to use your current location when making a report
- use the "plot new enquiry" tab and zoom in to choose the location manually
When you have marked the location on the map, use the "submit new enquiry" tab to begin completing the form.
You can add additional location information within the form once the mapping point has been submitted.
NB The map may not be displayed if you are using an older version internet browser (such as Internet Explorer 10 or earlier).