Costs and charges

Details on charges

The Tenant Fees Act bans most letting fees. It also caps tenancy deposits paid by tenants in the private rental sector in England.

You may still be asked to pay a deposit and rent in advance.

Help to pay rental and deposit costs

If you need help with a deposit and you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, you might be able to access the Homeless Prevention Fund. To do this, you will need to request a housing needs assessment.

If you claim, or are going to claim, Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, you may also be able to request a Discretionary Housing Payment. This can help with:

  • a deposit
  • rent in advance
  • removal costs

Discretionary Housing Payments can also be used to cover shortfalls in rent if you are struggling to meet your rental costs.

Page last updated: 4 July 2023

rating button