Are you struggling with the cost of living?

You can find help with accessing grants, useful advice and money that you may be entitled to. Visit our cost of living support page

Additional licensing for HMOs

The rules around the licensing of Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMOs) are changing on 5 June 2023.

From that date, a smaller HMO – a property with three or four occupants - will need a licence before you can rent it out.

Do I need a new additional licence for HMOs?

A licensable HMO is currently a property rented by five or more people who are not from one 'household' (for example a family) but share facilities such as a bathroom or kitchen.

You need a mandatory licence to rent out this type of HMO.

From June 5 2023, the definition of a licensable HMO will change and smaller HMOs will also need one of the new licences.

A licensable (smaller) HMO means a property:

  • occupied by three or four people
  • made up of two or more households, and
  • where people share facilities such as a kitchen or bathroom

Landlords will have to apply for an additional licence for any HMO that fits the new definition.

Enforcing the scheme

We will start to enforce the new additional licence scheme from 4 September 2023. This should give landlords sufficient time to apply for the new licence.

Applying for an additional licence

Landlords can now apply for a new additional HMO licence. Each licence costs £755.

If you rent out more than one HMO, you will need a licence for each property.

Apply for an additional HMO licence

Further information

Read more about our additional licensing scheme

Read more about HMOs

Page last updated: 2 May 2023

rating button