How Housing Benefit is paid
If you are a local authority tenant:
- We will pay your Housing Benefit directly into your rent account.
If you are a tenant of a Registered Social Landlord:
- Your housing benefit can be paid into your Bank, Building Society or Credit Union account, or
- Directly to your landlord.
If you are a private tenant:
- Your housing benefit can be paid into your Bank, Building Society or Credit Union account.
We must pay Housing Benefit directly to your landlord if:
- You are in rent arrears of eight full weeks or more, or
- Deductions for rent arrears are being made from your Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, or income-related Employment and Support Allowance.