Birmingham City Council financial challenges - time to Reset

To find out more about the budget and section 114 notice visit our budget information page

Advice during flooding

Tune in to local news and emergency services who will advise if evacuation is necessary. Check on elderly friends and relatives and make sure they are ok.

Life threatening emergencies

If there is an immediate risk to life, for example someone is trapped in a vehicle, or you are trapped by floodwater always call the emergency services on 999.

During a flood, do not

  • drive down flooded roads
  • walk or cycle in flood water
  • swim, paddle or play in flood water

Blocked drains

We clean roadside drains (known as gullies) regularly. Flooding can be caused by blocked gullies, but more often the volume of water in a short amount of time during heavy rainfall can cause flooding on the roads. Allow enough time for the water to disperse before reporting a blocked drain.

Flooded roads

If a road is flooded and causing problems for traffic, report it to us online.

If it is outside of normal office hours, call our emergency number

At home

If your home becomes flooded, and it is safe to do so, you should:

  • switch off your electricity supply at the fuse box
  • turn off your water supply at the mains - drink bottled water until/unless you are confident the mains water is not contaminated
  • move any valuable items upstairs and secure any outside items (e.g. garden furniture) where possible.

If you are a council tenant and there is water inside your home or your electrics have been affected, call our emergency number

If you rent privately or from a housing association, contact your landlord; you do not need to report it to us.

If you feel you are at risk, leave your property immediately.

Missing or lifted manhole covers

If a manhole or drain cover is missing, has dropped down, or is sticking up enough to be dangerous, do not try to move it yourself. You can report it to us online.

If it is outside of normal office hours, or a serious hazard to traffic or pedestrians, call our emergency number


If there is sewage in the road, contact Severn Trent.

rating button