Landlords are responsible for repairs to:

  • the structure and outside of their property
  • basins, baths, sinks and toilets
  • fires, radiators, water heaters
  • water, gas and electricity supply and meters
  • water tanks and boilers

You should include details of your responsibilities in your tenancy agreement. You should also give your tenants clear information about reporting a repair.

If the repairs are not done promptly, tenants can:

  • contact the council and ask us to take action – we would then speak to you about the repairs and work with you to get them completed
  • take you to court
  • sue you for compensation if they are injured or their possessions are damaged because you didn't carry out necessary repairs

Finding a reliable builder

No Rogue Traders Here works with Trading Standards to keep a list of traders across the West Midlands who have been interviewed and quality checked.

Call No Rogue Traders Here on 0800 233 5000

Register with No Rogue Traders Here


TrustMark is a government scheme that helps you find reliable traders. Any 'trust marked' trader has:

  • been checked financially
  • signed up to a code of practice that includes insurance, customer care and health and safety

Read about TrustMark

Page last updated: 23 February 2024

rating button