rating button
Naming a house | Street naming and numbering | Birmingham City Council

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check out the latest advice, service disruptions, information and support about Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest updates

Naming a house

If you wish to name your house, you can do so without contacting us as long as:

  • You are the owner of the property.
  • The property is already numbered.
  • The name is not used by an existing property on the same street.

The property name in this case will not officially form part of the property address, and the property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence.

If there is not a number allocated to your official address (ie if the property already has a name allocated as part of its official address, which you wish to change) or if you wish to register the name with Royal Mail. You must seek permission from us by completing this application form

Please note: in some cases, it may only be possible to register a property name with Royal Mail as an alias.