Renaming or renumbering of an existing street
Renaming or renumbering of an existing street is only done as a last resort. Reasons why a street may be renamed or renumbered are:
- There is confusion over a street's current name and/or numbering.
- There is a need for properties to be renumbered to accommodate the new properties being built in the street.
- The number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for visitors, postal delivery or emergency services.
To change a street name we will ballot the local residents on the issue. Hopefully there will be 100% support, but we require at least a two-thirds majority to make the change. We will then consult Royal Mail for their position on the issue.
Notices must be posted on site at the street itself. Any objections raised must be heard by the Magistrates Court. This is a time consuming process and we are only able to progress one such application at any time.
- To change the name of a building, please email email@example.com.
- If you are an individual who has built a new property on an existing street that requires numbering please use this application form.
- For building conversions, change of use or splits and merges, please complete all sections of this application form and supply the requested documentation with it.