Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Flooding and Drainage on Pavements and Roads


If you have discovered a blocked drain or localised flooding on the road or pavement please let us know so that we can deal with the problem.

Highways drains known as gullies are situated at the edge of the road and take storm water off the surface of the highway. Blocked gullies can cause a hazard to the highway users, particularly during periods of heavy rain. A severe downpour can quickly overwhelm a drainage system and it may take a while for the surface water to drain away, particularly if some of the gullies are full or the drains are blocked.

You can use this form to report a blocked, missing or loose road gullies. Do not use this form to report large scale flooding or blocked household drains. Reports of large scale flooding should be referred to the Environment Agency Floodline on 0845 988 1188 (24 hours)

Flooding Advice for Individual Property Owners

Further information on flood warning and practical advice on what you can do to prepare for flooding, during flooding and after flooding is available on the Birmingham Resilience website.

Flooding from Private Sewers or Drains

If your private drains or sewers are overflowing you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage. If you are uncertain if any blockage is in the public or private sewers, Severn Trent Water should be able to tell you when they visit the site. You will be recharged for the cost of any work on private sewers.

Public Sewers

The water company, Severn Trent Water, own and manage the network of public sewers for both foul and surface water.

To report an overflowing public sewer you should contact Severn Trent Water Customer Services on 0800 783 4444.

Flooding from a Main River

The main rivers are the responsibility of the Environment Agency and they provide a Floodline, 0800 807060, which is a 24 hour advice and information service for floods and flood warnings. For further information visit theEnvironment Agency flooding webpage.

For general enquiries you can telephone 08708 506506, or minicom 08702 422549, between 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday.


In the event of a flooding emergency the City Council will if possible respond to requests for sandbags. Experience has shown however that during severe storms roads may become blocked, and the call for help may exceed the available resources resulting in delays in response. In many cases, there is also often very little warning of localised flash flooding, giving the Council no time to deliver sandbags if this occurs. It is wise therefore if you feel that you may be at risk from flooding, to have an emergency plan for your property, if possible working with neighbours. Indeed it is the responsibility of landowners to protect their properties from flooding. More information is available on ourweb page.

Information required when reporting a problem

Key information required is:

Location - Please provide as much detail as possible to identify the location of the problem. Reports of a general nature regarding the network condition will be investigated, however for specific reports about a potential hazard please try to pinpoint the location as close as possible on the map contained within the reporting form.

Please also include:

  • road names;
  • name of the junction or road, and other easily identifiable landmarks; school, shops, Public Building or Hospital.
  • identifying features on the road such as a property address or street furniture number that the problem appears near to; and

Description of the problem - Please provide as much detail as possible and include:

  • details of the flood
  • location in the road surface (at the edge, in the middle etc) and on main roads if the defect is In to city or Out of city, North or South bound·
  • Asset number – each set of signals should have a unique reference number on the column or cabinet box next to the signals, if you can provide this number it will help us identify the location and respond more efficiently.

Your contact details - In case we need to contact you for more details, we ask that you provide us with your contact details.

Please ensure you do not put yourself or anyone else in danger when obtaining details about the fault.

The above information is very helpful as this will help us prioritise the enquiry and also enable us to provide a more efficient response.

How you can help us
  • Notifying us of problems/defects - use our online reporting system
  • Keeping trees and hedges trimmed to avoid overhanging the Highway.
  • Reporting any damage, vandalism or theft.
  • Not damaging footways or verges by parking on them.
  • Not obstructing footways or using flyposting with commercial displays.

Out of Hours

If you consider any fault you are reporting to be causing a serious hazard to traffic or pedestrians and is in need of urgent attention, please telephone 0121 303 4149 (Mon - Fri (5:00pm - 9:00am) and weekends).

Our Promise

Millions of people use the city’s highways and road networks every day, whether they are motorists or pedestrians. Our Highways Service is committed to providing a consistently high level of service and routinely undertakes inspections to make sure the roads, footways, bridges and street lights across the city are safe for all.

Sometimes, problems occur and we will do our utmost to fix them.

Well maintained highways

The highway network is a most highly valued physical asset, both in financial and community terms, for which public authorities are responsible. Effective stewardship and asset management is crucially important, both to users and the community. Authorities are recommended to adopt the principles of the Code of Practice for Highway Maintenance Management, to adapt them as necessary based on consideration of local circumstances, and apply them consistently.

Highway Inspections

We undertake all our highway works and inspections in accordance to national standards and this sets strict safety criteria to ensure that all public footways and carriageways are safe for public use.

This criteria is based on a safety matrix, whereby any urgent defects are rectified within one hour of us being notified and all other defects are repaired using varying timescales this, dependent upon the severity of the defect, Repairs are carried out in accordance with our service standards. Emergency defects (e.g. where the pothole is of a size and location to put both the probability and impact of an accident as very high) should be attended within one hour. At that initial visit, the site will be made safe either with barriers or a temporary repair. Other potholes are added to the list of works and an Enquiry Inspector will visit site and use the risk matrix to determine the category of the defect.

Essential Information
  • There is no additional information
Frequently Asked Questions
    • Each street light, traffic light, or traffic sign should have a number on its column. This may be painted on, or on a sticker, and will be on the side of the lamp column facing the road. If you can tell us this number it will help us to resolve your request more quickly.

    • How quickly this report is dealt with depends on how urgent the problem is.

      We will inspect anything you report within a maximum of 5 working days.

      Dangerous faults or situations will be made safe within 24 hours of the report.

      All other defects will be scheduled for attention or repair within planned programmes, for Street lighting faults usually within 12 business days (95% of the time) and for Street Names Plates with 28 business days from the report.

    • If you haven't been able to find the information that you need then the link below will take you to a form that you can use to ask us further questions.

      Service Specific Enquiry