Key announcements

We are carrying out maintenance on our mapping server on Wednesday 17 April from 7:00am until 8:00am. During this time, forms and online services which use maps may be unavailable. To find out more about the section 114 notice, visit our section 114 page

Report flooding and drainage on pavements and roads

Drainage on the highway

Highways drains, known as gullies, are situated at the edge of the road and take storm water from the highway into the sewer system. Litter, leaves and silt from rain water can block gullies. We carry out around 114,500 gully cleansing operations each year to keep water flowing.

In periods of intense heavy rain, the groundwater level rises and sewers can reach capacity. This is usually a short term problem and water will drain away when the weather passes. Maintenance of the sewer system is the responsibility of the local water company.

Reporting highways drainage issues

If you’ve noticed a highways gully is blocked, or its grates are missing or loose, report it to us. To investigate, we will need to know:

  • an accurate location (including landmarks, nearby house numbers or road junctions)
  • a detailed description of the problem (e.g. blocked gully or missing grate).

Do not use this form to report large scale flooding or blocked household drains and make sure you do not put yourself or anyone else in danger when obtaining details about the fault.

Public sewers

Severn Trent Water and South Staffs Water own and manage the network of public sewers for both foul and surface water across Birmingham. To report an overflowing public sewer you should contact them directly.

Reporting guidance

If you want to track progress on your report, you can log in to, or register for, a BRUM account.

Use the map below to start your report. The map will default to a 2 mile radius from Birmingham city centre, and you can:

  • search by entering a post code or road name in the search button (include the property number if known)
  • use the "find my location" circle underneath the zoom tabs to use your current location when making a report
  • use the "plot new enquiry" tab and zoom in to choose the location manually

When you have marked the location on the map, use the "submit new enquiry" tab to begin completing the form.

You can add additional location information within the form once the mapping point has been submitted.

NB The map may not be displayed if you are using an older version internet browser (such as Internet Explorer 10 or earlier).

rating button