Balsall Heath Neighbourhood Development Plan
Balsall Heath Neighbourhood Development Plan progress:
- April 2011: Balsall Heath chosen by the Government as one of the first areas to pilot neighbourhood planning
- 2012: Balsall Heath Neighbourhood Planning Forum (BHNPF) applied to be recognised as a legitimate organisation to prepare a Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) for their area. The NDP application was publicised on this webpage for 6 weeks from 12 September to 24 October. Comments were taken into account, and the Boundary area was amended to remove the area to the north of Highgate Road. A Sustainability Proposal was prepared to look at the social, economic and environmental effects of the emerging proposals, and the subsequent Scoping Report was consulted on for 5 weeks from 17 October to 22 November.
- 12 February 2013: Balsall Heath Neighbourhood Area and Balsall Heath Neighbourhood Planning Forum formally designated by the city council.
- 20 September to 15 November 2013: Consultation for draft NDP. Comments were taken into account and the plan amended in line with them. The draft NDP then submitted to the council for publication with supporting documents.
- 14 October to 25 November 2014: Draft NDP and Sustainability Appraisal publicised by council after being satisfied that the draft NDP met the national policy requirements.
- December 2014: Independent Examiner appointed to assess policies and proposals within draft NDP, along with any comments from the publication period.
- 31 March 2015: Independent Examiner’s report received by the council, recommending that with minor modifications the NDP should proceed to referendum.
- 8 October 2015: Local referendum held. In answer to the question ‘Do you want Birmingham to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Balsall Heath to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?’ 89% voted YES.
- 8 November 2015: Balsall Heath Neighbourhood Development Plan adopted into Local Development Framework and used going forward to guide planning decisions in the area.