Local land charges (searches)
Land charges are searches of property history that take place when a property is changing hands. They are usually undertaken by solicitors, you can also submit your own search.
We aim to reply to standard residential searches within 10 working days. Industrial premises and areas of land may take longer.
As an alternative to submitting a formal search some information, including Planning Permissions, Listed Building Consents, Conservation Area Consents, Enforcement, and Tree Preservation Orders can be found through Planning Online and Local View. A personal search of the Land Charges Register can be obtained by email from email@example.com, free of charge.
How to submit a search
- By email: to firstname.lastname@example.org giving the address, telephone number and any references.
- By post: to Local Land Charges Registry, PO Box 28, Birmingham, B1 1TU.
How much searches cost
- The fee for both residential and commercial searches is payable by cheque.
- £75 for LLC1 (Land Charges and Planning Register) and Con29 (Non statutory register search, e.g. Buildings Control, Environmental and Highways Register)
- £25 for LLC1 only
- £50 for Con29R only
- The fee for more than one property or parcel of land is £20 for each additional property/parcel.
- Optional enquiries (Con29O e.g a search of the Register of Common Land and Town and Village Greens, or food safety notices) can be added for £10 per question.