Ukrainian guest guide: Applying for benefits

Universal Credit – a payment for those of working age, to help with your living costs if you’re on a low income. You could be working (including self-employed or part-time) or be out of work.

For guidance about applying for universal credit see: Welcome Guide - 2.2: Claiming Social Security Benefits and getting a National Insurance Number

Applying for Universal Credit

You can apply for Universal Credit online

You will need to create an account to make a claim. To apply online you’ll need:

  • your bank, building society, or credit union account details
  • an email address
  • access to a phone

You’ll also have to prove your identity. You’ll need some identity documents for this, for example:

  • A full or provisional Ukraine photo driving licence
  • Any national identity card, except those issued under the UK ID Card Scheme
  • A residence permit, registration certificate, or document certifying or indicating permanent residence issued by the Home Office or the United Kingdom Border Agency to a national of a European Economic Area country or Switzerland.
  • A Biometric Residence Permit issued by the United Kingdom Border Agency

There is a Help to Claim service provided by Citizens Advice which is confidential. They will not share your personal information unless you agree.

If you are unable to claim online or to get help with your claim, you can call the Universal Credit helpline.

Calls to the Universal Credit helpline are free. Telephone: 0800 328 5644

When your Universal Credit claim has been made, you will be invited for a meeting with your Work Coach at your local Jobcentre Plus.

Other benefits you may be entitled to are:

  • Pension Credit – extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age, which is 66 in the UK, and on a low income
  • Disability benefits – extra money to help with additional costs for those who have a long term physical or mental health condition or disability
  • Carer’s Allowance – extra money if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week
  • Child Benefit – extra money to help with the cost of raising a child
  • People who wish to claim should complete a CH2 Child Benefit claim form and submit this by post to the Child Benefit office. The address is included on the form. They should provide an original birth certificate and the passport or travel document used to enter the UK.
  • Where this documentation is not immediately available, people are advised to include a note in their claim and someone from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will be in touch to discuss it further.

Anyone wanting more information on Claiming Child Benefit can visit GOV.​UK or call 0300 200 3100 (from inside the UK).

Read more about child benefit.

rating button