The Children's Library is an exciting treasure trove for all ages in a bright and welcoming space. We offer plenty of suitable resources, events and activities in the Children’s Library, throughout the building and online.
Our collection for children and young people is one of the largest in the UK, with thousands of books and resources available for young Members to borrow. Membership also gives you access to a wealth of online resources and databases to help with learning, homework and hobbies.
Whatever your child’s needs and abilities, the Library can help. Books and resources are available in a range of formats, including large print, talking books, CD-Roms, graphic novels and Braille. We also offer a wide range of fiction in other languages (and dual languages) for children whose first language is not English.
- Free internet
- Desks to sit and study
- Comfortable spaces to curl up and read
- Picture books and board books for little ones
- Stories for reading by yourself or to share
- Graphic novels and dark romance for teenagers
- Hands on digital activities
- Books to help with issues like bullying or questions on health and wellbeing
- Regular activities and story sessions including visiting authors
- Friendly and knowledgeable Children’s Librarians on hand to help you
For all the events we have available check out our events section.
Did you know...
Children say going to the Library encourages them to read more than buying them new books or iPads (Reading Agency survey, 2012)
Reading for pleasure is, according to an OECD Program for International Assessment study, more influential on a child’s future financial security than any other factor.