Scheduled maintenance

Our council tax, business rates and online benefits systems will be unavailable on Thursday 26 May 2022 between 6:30pm and 10pm. We apologise for any inconvenience.

I have been asked to leave my property

As a tenant you have legal rights and your landlord must follow the correct steps if they would like to you to leave.

Visit out private tenant advice page for details of the steps.

It helps to know why your landlord has asked you to leave as it may be that the issue can be resolved. If you have not kept up your rent payments your landlord may allow you to stay if you set up a payment arrangement. It is much better to resolve an issue like this as it may affect your ability to get future accommodation if you have a history of rent arrears. This includes obtaining social housing. If you end up requesting homeless assistance from the council it may limit the duty that council owes you if you are homeless as a result of arrears. This means we may not have a duty to re-house you. Visit our money advice page for support.

If you are unable to resolve the issues with your landlord or your landlord requires their property back for another reason then you need to look at your housing options right away. Although your landlord has to give you a reasonable notice period and cannot force you to leave without going to court it can take some time to find alternative accommodation. If you end up seeking homeless assistance from the council then it is likely you will have to reside in temporary accommodation. If we decide that we do have a duty to find you accommodation you may be in temporary accommodation for a long time while this is found. This can be avoided if you find your own accommodation before you are evicted.

Please consider some of the other housing options available.

rating button