Birmingham City Council financial challenges - time to Reset

To find out more about the budget and section 114 notice visit our budget information page

My home is at risk of being repossessed

Renting your home

If you are renting a property and have been told that it is going to be repossessed, go to I have been asked to leave my property to find out what you need to do.

Owning your home

If you are behind on your mortgage payments, it is important that you seek help and advice now. If you have not already done so, you must contact your mortgage provider and discuss the situation with them.

What are my options?

MoneyHelper offer a useful guide of the steps to take if you are struggling with your mortgage repayments.

If you are a homeowner and getting certain income related benefits, you may be able to get help with the interest payments.

If you:

  • have taken out a mortgage protection policy
  • were made redundant
  • are ill

your payments may be covered for a period, allowing you to get back on your feet.

There are organisations that can offer support with:

  • budgeting
  • money management
  • repaying debts

See our page on money advice and support for more information.

What if I cannot prevent my home being repossessed?

If after seeking advice you are unable to prevent the repossession of your home, then you will need to request a housing needs assessment. You will need to explore your housing options.

You may have large savings as the result of releasing the capital from your home when you sell. This will affect your qualification for the housing register and your eligibility for housing benefit.

Page last updated: 15 June 2023

rating button