Ukraine crisis

As people around the world watch what’s happening in Ukraine, Birmingham’s communities are coming together to support international appeals and efforts to help those fleeing war. Details of how to offer support and where to find information and advice can be found on our City of Sanctuary webpage

Money advice and support

If you are struggling with debt, affected by welfare reform or need assistance with budgeting please read on for advice and support.

When you have more bills than you can afford it is important that you make the right decision when deciding which payments to make. Certain debts including rent are called priority debts and these should be paid above other less important bills. This is because the effect of not paying them is more serious.

If you do not pay your rent you risk losing your home. If you lose your home due to rent arrears you may also find the council does not have a duty to re-house you. Additionally many landlords, including the council and housing associations may refuse to rent to you if you have a history of rent arrears.

Help and support is available to help you manage your debt.

If you are a council tenant you can request debt advice.

If you are not a council tenant you can get independent debt advice from other organisations.

rating button