Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Coronavirus remains a serious health risk. It’s important to stay cautious and help protect yourself and others. Please continue to follow national government advice.

Rent out your leasehold property (subletting)

Renting out your leasehold property is called "subletting your lease".

If you are thinking of subletting your home, check your lease agreement for full details of the rules and restrictions you must follow. 

You must not sublet your home for periods of 90 days or less. This is sometimes known as a “holiday let”. This is a breach of the council’s planning regulations.

If you have a mortgage, your lender is likely to have restrictions on subletting. You should get your mortgage provider's permission before you sublet your home.

Tell the council you are subletting

If you sublet your home, you must tell our home ownership team within 21 days.  Send us:

  • a copy of the tenancy agreement you have with the person you are subletting to
  • a contact address where we can send your bills
  • your contact phone number.

If you sublet your home, you are responsible for your tenant’s conduct. It is important that your tenancy agreement includes the same rules and regulations that apply to you as a leaseholder.

You will also be responsible for the landlord’s duties under the Gas Safety (installation and use) Regulations 1998. This means that you will be legally responsible for making sure your gas appliances, pipework and flues are safe and well maintained.

rating button