Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Coronavirus remains a serious health risk. It’s important to stay cautious and help protect yourself and others. Please continue to follow national government advice.

Problems during your tenancy

Unsatisfactory conditions

The property you rent should provide a healthy and safe environment and should be free from unavoidable hazards.

If the property you are renting is in an unsatisfactory condition and it is affecting your health and safety or if it is in need of repair then you should contact the landlord first in writing.  We have produced an example letter you can use. The landlord should then arrange for any necessary remedial action or repairs to take place.

If you think the defects are likely to put the health and safety of you and your family at risk of immediate and serious harm then you are advised to contact the Council's Private Rented Services Team as well as your landlord.

With respect to repairs in particular, landlords are typically responsible for:

  • The structure and outside of the property
  • Basins, baths, sinks and toilets
  • Radiators and water heaters
  • Water, gas and electricity supply and meters
  • Water tanks and boilers.

This may differ depending on the conditions of your tenancy. When you sign your tenancy agreement you should find out which repairs your landlord is responsible for, which repairs you should do, and how to report a repair.

If you have reported the problem and your landlord is not responding, then there are several things you can do about it.  

Problems with neighbours

You have the right to live in peace, free from noisy or antisocial neighbours. The Environmental Health Team can investigate noise from neighbours, such as music, DIY work, barking dogs and noise from industry.

If you’re having problems with harassment from antisocial neighbours, tell your landlord and call the Birmingham Antisocial Behaviour Helpline on 0121 303 1111 for advice and help.

rating button