Essential maintenance

Due to essential maintenance, our website may experience intermittent disruption, from 9pm tonight (Tuesday 25 September 2018) until 9am tomorrow (Wednesday). We apologise for any inconvenience.

Places at grammar schools in Birmingham

If you’re a parent and would like your child to go to a grammar school in Birmingham, they will need to sit an entry test. There is one entry test across all Birmingham’s grammar schools:

  • Bishop Vesey’s Grammar School for Boys
  • King Edward VI Aston School
  • King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys
  • King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls
  • King Edward VI Five Ways School
  • King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys
  • King Edward VI Handsworth School
  • Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls

You can read more information about each of Birmingham’s grammar schools on the Grammar Schools in Birmingham website.

Only children born between 1 September 2007 and 31 August 2008 can take the entry test for September 2019. If you’d like your child to take an entry test you should speak to your child’s head teacher first.

Applying to sit an entry test is not the same as asking for a place at the school (an expression of preference). You must also complete the application form of your home local authority (the local authority where you pay your council tax).

Entry tests for grammar schools outside of Birmingham

Other local authorities have different closing dates and admission arrangements. If you’d like your child to sit entry tests for schools outside of Birmingham you should contact the local authority for that area.

Find your local council

rating button