Apply for a place at a 14 to 19 Academy
There are currently 4 academies in Birmingham that admit pupils who are 14 to 19 years old:
- South and City College Birmingham: specialises in engineering and technical crafts, creative and health sciences
- Waverley Studio College: specialises in Health and Social Care, Childcare, Enterprise and Medical Science.
If you wish to apply for a place at any of the above academies, you should complete our online application form.
Birmingham City Council runs a coordinated admissions scheme with neighbouring local authorities.
If you are applying for 14 to 19 schools in another local authority, then we recommend that you contact them for their admissions arrangements, as this will help you to decide if your application is likely to be successful.
The closing date is 31 October 2023.
Late applications will open on 1 November 2023.
Applications received after the statutory closing date (31 October 2023) for 14 to 19 Academies were only considered after applications received on time and were processed after 1 March 2024.
Late applications closed on 31 July 2023 at 5 pm. You will now need to apply directly to your preferred schools using the In-Year application form.
Applications open on 1 September 2023.
You will receive email confirmation that you have submitted your application form. Check this to make sure everything is correct.
Important: If you amend your preferences, you must ensure that you re-submit your application form before the closing date. Otherwise, your application will not be processed.
We will take your final submission as the application to process.
Do not use this form if your child has an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP).
If you applied online and provided an email address, you will be sent an email informing you which 14 to 19 Academy has been offered on 1 March 2024 (where applicable).
We will also send you a formal offer letter posted by first class on Friday 1 March 2024. Allow at least three working days for your letter to arrive.
- The offer letter will explain how to accept or refuse the offer that has been made.
- Do not contact Birmingham City Council before you receive the notification of your child's school place. The School Admissions team will be unable to inform you by telephone what 14 to 19 Academy place (if applicable) has been offered to your child until Tuesday 5 March 2023.
- If your child is not offered a place at a 14 to 19 Academy, you will not be offered an alternative school place. If your child is not currently in receipt of education, you will need to make an application for other schools through the normal in-year admissions process.
Accepting the place offered
- The formal offer letter will explain how to accept or refuse the offer that has been made.
- You must inform your child's current school if you are accepting the place at a 14 to 19 Academy, and your child will be starting the 14 to 19 Academy in September 2024.
Both of the following 14 to 19 Academies will be coordinating their own applications and offers for the September 2024 intake. You can visit their websites for further information on how and when they will make their offers and when they will notify you of the outcome of your application.
- The Birmingham Ormiston Academy (BOA): specialises in creative, digital and performing arts.
You will also need to complete the supplementary information form.
- The Aston University Engineering Academy (AUEA): specialises in engineering and science.
Any queries relating to admissions for these two establishments should be directed to the relevant academies. Their contact details will be on their websites.
Late applications will close on 31 July 2024 at 5pm. If you have not made a late application by 5pm on 31 July 2024, you must apply directly to your preferred schools using the in-year application form.
Page last updated: 6 February 2024