Birmingham City Council financial challenges - time to Reset

To find out more about the budget and section 114 notice visit our budget information page

Birmingham City Council – Elections information

The next scheduled elections in Birmingham are the Combined Authority Mayoral Election and Police and Crime Commissioner Elections, both due to be held on Thursday 2 May 2024.

If this changes and there is an election or referendum, this page will be updated.

Changes to voting in person

The process of voting in person has changed. You will be required to show photographic ID to receive your ballot paper.

You will not need Voter ID to vote by post.

If you appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf at the polling station, your proxy will be required to show their photo ID before they can vote for you.

Photo ID you can use

Acceptable forms of photo ID will include:

  • passport
  • driving licence (including provisional licence)
  • blue badge
  • certain concessionary travel cards
  • identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • biometric immigration document
  • defence identity card
  • certain national identity cards.

If your photo ID has expired, it will still be accepted as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of you.

If your name on your ID is different to how your name appears on the electoral register (for example if you have got married and one still shows your maiden name), you may be required to show further proof of identity in order to receive a ballot paper.

Find a full list of valid photo ID and more information on voting and bringing ID on the Electoral Commission website.

If you do not have an acceptable form of photographic ID

If you do not already have any of the above acceptable forms of photographic ID, you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate (VAC).

A Voter Authority Certificate (VAC) is a free photographic identification document used and issued for the specific purpose to allow an elector to vote in the polling station.

The VAC cannot be used or accepted as proof of identity for any other purpose other than voting.

How to get a Voter Authority Certificate (VAC)

To get a free Voter Authority Certificate (VAC), you can apply:

We will verify your identity before issuing the VAC.

The deadline for applying for a Voter Authority Certificate is 6 working days before the election you wish to use it in. You can however apply at any time, and the VAC is valid indefinitely so you should keep it safe. It is recommended that you renew after 10 years or when the photo is no longer a good likeness.

You do not need to reapply for a VAC when you move house (either within Birmingham or to/from another local authority area).

If you have not received your Voter Authority Certificate (VAC) within 28 days of application, contact us.

Where a scheduled election is due to take place in Birmingham and you applied before the 5:00pm deadline six working days before poll, contact Electoral Services immediately. We will investigate and where appropriate issue you a Temporary Voter Authority Certificate that you can use on the upcoming specified poll date.

Page last updated: 29 December 2023

rating button